Subject: Re: Travel to the MET question
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:58:47 -0500

I've already responded privately to the subscriber who wanted to know the
advisability of driving to the Met and I strongly came down in favor of using
mass transportion.

But one of the subsequent posts reminded that I also work at Lincoln Center and
receive multiple updates about the various interruptions due to construction.
The 65th entrance to the garage is now closed for the forseeable future (maybe
permanently) so one can only use the 62nd street entrance.

Additionally, because they are constructing the "grassy knoll" (my personal name
for the silly rise of greenery in front of the Vivan Beaumont Theater - the
name is my deliberate pun on the events that took place in Dallas 45 years
ago today), there will be numerous weekends where vehicle traffic on 65th street
(and occasionally 66th street) between Amsterdam and Broadway will be severely
compromised and occasionally shut off entirely.  This also applies (somewhat
less stringently) to pedestrian traffic.  They are really working to complete
this project.

In short, my view is that it's foolish to drive to Lincoln Center and
expect to navigate the streets easily to find parking (unless you have plenty
of money to spent on the garage).

     blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blogs/bob-kosovsky
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users