Subject: Peter Mattei moving into heavier rep?
From: Dominic A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:55:41 -0500

A little while back, I saw that Peter Mattei had been scheduled for Macbeth
in Sweden this season.  I almost fell out of my chair.  Of all the possible
descriptions of Mattei's voice, "dramatic" is probably the last I would
give.  Later, he backed out of the production in favor of the superb (yet
relatively unknown) Michele Kalmandi.

I figured Mattei had decided to stick with the lyric roles better suited to
his voice that have brought him fame.  I then noticed yesterday on the
Salzburg Festival site that he is scheduled as Pizarro in next summer's
Fidelio!  Wow.

Does anyone know why Mattei has all of a sudden decided to go for this
heavier rep?  I'm all for artistic exploration, but I think this might be a
little (or a lot) out of his fach.

OPERA-L official website:
Modify your settings: