Subject: Re: Extra Suor Angelica Aria
From: Greg Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:20:58 -0800

Kurt Youngman wrote of the extra aria in Suor Angelica:
"There's an ethereal quality to it that, for me, doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the piece."

    That sums up exactly my reaction on hearing it in LA. Lovely music, but I thought it like a beautiful tapestry with a rough patch sewn on: it seemed a completely foreign interruption of the flow of the music. Textually, it didn't add anything to what we already knew, so served only to momentarily derail the onrushing climax.

Greg Armstrong, Santa Barbara, CA