Subject: Re: audience expectations and Heppner
From: Lloyd Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:50:29 -0700

Any performance will not please some.  So if booing is a good thing,
all performances should have at least a modicum of audible verbal
dissatisfaction unless there is some other way to express our outrage
such as through this list.  Both public booing and private writing
presents the participant as some kind of energetic social creature who
is willing to be observed giving a thumbs down on a performance.

Yet the question that begs to be answered is how does such a strong
negative response improve the quality of future performances.  It
certainly can be a guide to the producer or the impresario about the
performance but it does not define the nature of the below par
performance; it simply indicates dissatisfaction.  It is also not a
sure way of informing the performer about that part of his/her
performance that was so unacceptable.

For these reasons, Italian temperament aside, I choose not to boo or
even denigrate the performer publicly.  I prefer to describe as
clearly to myself as I can what about the performance is not up to my
personal standard and then apply that to other performances that I
have recently seen or heard or will see or hear in the near future.
In so doing I find I am training my ears, I am reading more about the
roles and their difficulties, I am listening to more recordings and
watching more videos and having the extremely satisfying benefit of
privately learning more about this complex and often confusing art form.

It does not make me a better persons nor one with opinions that others
would want to seek out.  It just gives me more satisfaction to attend
performances and enjoy recordings.

Lloyd W. Hanson