Subject: Where was peter Gelb?
From: Roberta Prada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:43:06 -0500

So - casting a heldentenor in a dramatic role? Whose idea was that/ What
about Guleghina - after Abigaille. Lady Mc, Norma, etc, there is  generally
no turning back, and I think hers was a lyric role as well.Is not Jimmy
Levine the artistic director? Who does the casting? Who goes to rehearsals
and reports back? Lots of missing in action here.

Mercifully I fell asleep for part of it. I just checked out!

I didn't count because I have never heard mere than two stecche in a

On 11/22/08 5:36 PM, "OPERA-L automatic digest system"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Subject: Where was Peter Gelb last night?
> Heppner's was the most offensive and unprofessional performance I have ev=
> er
> witnessed on the MET stage, and I think the man is finished, but the blam=
> ultimately lies with the general manager.=20
> Why didn't he stop the bloodbath? Gelb (or his second in command) had 4
> hours to do something. Heppner cracked 28 times. A member of the audience=
>  in
> Grand Tier was even heard in loud voice mocking the doomed tenor
> mid-performance.
> The MET showed no respect for the audience last night and, in MET history=
> ,
> November 21 will be a date which will live in infamy.

OPERA-L official website:
Modify your settings: