Subject: Re: Extra Suor Angelica Aria
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:40:47 -0600

On Nov 24, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Greg Berg wrote:

> Bergitas here.
>
> I noted with interest the Suor Angelica review in the
> latest Opera News (I believe Radvanovksy was the
> soprano) which mentioned the inclusion of a brief aria
> restored to the score which Puccini removed shortly
> before the opera's world premiere.  This was news to
> me, and I own several Suor Angelica recordings and
> love this opera a lot.  Is the restored aria heard on
> any commercial recordings?  How about pirates?   I
> would love to hear this for myself.

This (very brief) aria, "Amici fiori" was restored by Maestro Conlon
as he explained at his pre-performance lecture. There have been
occasional performances in recent years in which it was included. The
excuse for cutting it is that the evening becomes overly long -
assuming all three operas of the Trittico are performed. Since it's
so brief I can't accept this excuse, especially in view of how long
most of the Wagner operas are as well as Nozze, Rosenkavalier,
FROSCH, etc.

 From what I've been able to figure out, Puccini himself sanctioned
the deletion immediately after the premiere but it seems likely that
it found its way into the first German production since Lotte Lehmann
recorded it in 1920.

Perhaps my impression is tempered by having heard the work so many
times without the deleted music, but It almost seems not to have been
written by the same composer. There's an ethereal quality to it that,
for me, doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the piece. In fact, as
much as I love Suor Angelica (my favorite of the three), I can live
with the abridged version. On the other hand I always welcome a few
more bars of Puccini!!!

Kurt Youngmann