Subject: Re: More on that Falstaff and Schwarzkopf
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:26:56 +0100

> If I recall correctly, her final opera performance was in 71, which is
> pretty early, in the first act of Rosenkavalier only, somewhere in the
> Benelux countries (ie, no high B). So by 64 it was really winding down.
> I am not sure how much she could have done Alice as late as 64, to be
> candid, and this is the first time I've ever heard that she was sheduled
> for that....

1971 is 6 years after 1964, that can be a long time in a singer's career.
She was definitely scheduled for the Falstaff performances. I was at the
Giovanni, as it happens. And it was really terrible. The worst thing is
that she obviously knew it. She didn't let on while performing, but it was
obvious in her curtain calls. Stich-Randall also squealed her way through
Anna, and Peerce didn't do any harm, but not a good deal of good as
Ottavio. OTOH it was Rosalind Elias' first Zerlina, and she was swell,
Siepi was Giovanni, enough said, and above all, Geraint Evans was
perfection as Leporello.

David