Subject: Re: Nina Foresti
From: Mike Begley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:10:00 -0400

Just a few remembrances of mine which may influence your decision:

1.) In her recorded interview with Lord Harewood, when Callas is asked about
her earliest appearances (before moving to Greece) she dismisses it by
saying there was nothing accept (paraphrasing here) "maybe Major Bowles or
something like that".

2.) Her mother took her to Greece in 1937; she sang her first Santuzza (a
student production) in Grece in 1939 (which not only rules out the '39
possibility - though it was a good thought - but also suggests that, having
the ability to sing Santuzza at age 15, her voice matured early).

3.) To my ears, the speaking voice is definately Callas.

But this will probably remain one of those Callas stories that will remain
unproveable; others include:

1.  Loretta Corelli made an in-house recording of Franco and Callas in
Fedora

2.  A tape exists of one of her Chicago Trovatore (supposedly, a tape DID
exist, but the only known copy was accidentally destroyed).

Best,
Mike