Subject: Re: Licitra Cancellation
From: Mike Begley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:33:39 -0400

I'm not sure I disagree with you, but Alvarez seemed to earn pretty good
reviews when he did it in London in 2007, and will be doing it in Zurich in
the Nov-Dec time frame.  From Covent Garden:
"The double stars of the evening were the Italian conductor Nicola Luisotti
and the Argentinian tenor Marcelo Alvarez as Manrico.

Luisotti gives singers rein to shape a phrase while keeping strict, buoyant
control. The orchestra responded energetically, with notable playing from
lower strings and lower woodwind.

Alvarez performs with generosity and compassion, throwing himself into the
high emotions demanded. He scales his high notes joyfully, boldly, never
indulgently. This is familiar Pavarotti territory, but in Alvarez's hands a
more tormented and impassioned experience."

Regarding Licitra's cancellation, has it occurred to anyone his significant
other may be expecting a child around that time?  In looking back at
articles on Licitra, he was engaged and planned to get married 5 or 6 years
ago.  I never thought I'd actually say this about a TENOR, but singers are
people too, and occassionally have lives outside the theatre.  By the way,
according to his website he is having his Tanglewood debut this summer
singing Norma with Renee Fleming.  I suppose that might be one reason
Fleming announced this spring she would not sing the role - not because it
was supposedly on the Met's schedule 2 years or so down the line, but
because she was going to try it out in Tanglewood.  Hum, maybe Licitra had
some extra free time on his hands a few months ago <see sentence one>.  Hum?
<purely good-natured conjecture>
Don't worry about Maurizio - Domingo will sing it from the pit! But with the
musical adjustments, Stephanie Blythe will be singing Adrianna and David
Daniels will be the Princess.  <bald-faced lie, in case you didn't notice>.

Best,
Mike Begley