Subject: FW: Pablo Elvira
From: "Conrad, Stephen A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:46:12 -0400

 I think Mark gets to the heart of what made Elvira special-- VERY special.  His Alfonso on the live recording of LA FAVORITA, under Queler, is by far my favorite performance of that role in a complete recording: he surpasses baritone superstars on other recordings because his bel canto achievement proves greater than theirs (absolutely consistent beauty of tone; voice beautifully integral throughout the range; wonderfully sustained high notes, and legato, legato, legato!!!); and it is a bel canto opera, after all.  I cried the first time I heard him in that recording: I was that stunned in hearing such surpassing bel canto singinging from a modern baritone, and live.