Subject: Re: The Met Loses Artistic Stature
From: Sergio da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:10:42 -0400

I'm really scratching my head as to how casting Placido Domingo as Maurizio
means a lowering of the standards?

Let me see, although at almost 70 Domingo sells remarkably well (in fact
better than a lot of tenors half his age); Domingo is the most famous tenor
singing nowadays and is in fact a celebrity.

Let's face it, if Domingo picked the phone and called any opera house in the
world and said he wants to sing Maurizio, the theater general manager would
scramble to find a soprano to sing Adriana and accomodate the theather
schedule around him.

Gelb is doing the most sensible thing, replacing Alvarez (i.m.h.o a poor
choice for Maurizio, I think Alvarez should stick to lyric and French lyric
roles but he obviously is headed on another direction) for Domigo is an
accomplishment.

Now I'm less worried about transpositions, these are pretty common and
standard fare (I did see Domingo live in the Andrea Chenier lowered version
and I still enjoyed it - I did not like Valayre though), let's face it if
Cilea were alive he would not only lower the keys but even write a couple of
additional arias if Domingo asked him.

Now why all the fire against Guleghina? She is one of the best dramatic
sopranos nowadays, understands the Italian repertoire pretty well and seems
quite a good fit for Adriana. At least the MET did not put Voigt, that would
be indeed a mistake (what a trial will be to see Gioconda this season, but
Podles is worth the sacrifice!).

So, where is the lowering of the standards? Would you rather cast Franco
Farina as Maurizio? Just because he can sing B's?