Subject: Re: Domingo returns to Adriana
From: Simonel Pietraru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:27:22 -0400

>This is very sad ... I don't understand how ,snipped>

Indeed, the world is coming to am end, the sky is falling down. For some
reason itís a very wide-held sentiment that Guleghinaís Adriana will be a waste
of time; in fact ALL my opera loving friends share that sentiment, and quite
emphatically so. Iím not a big fan of hers, but have people forgotten so
quickly her Giorgetta in Il Tabarro last spring? I donít think anyone complained
about it and I personally loved it, so Iíd give her at least the benefit of the
doubt in verismo.

Domingo: how many times have we been warned that this or that will be a
mistake for him, yet he always proves the doomsayers wrong. Conclusion: he
has better judgment than anyone else regarding what he can or cannot do. I
also think that Adriana is a score that is difficult to wreck Ė I never heard an
Adriana I did not like.

Gelb: I too donít like the fact that he makes it so difficult for old hags like me
to get the tickets they want, but by the time he flies out he will leave his
footprint on the opera world in a way that no other GM before him did Ė some
of the young people that were attracted to the celebrity buzz he created will
discover what opera has to offer and will stick around for the real stuff. Itís
not much different from how I was attracted to opera in the first place many
years ago.

Simonel