Subject: Re: the best italian tenor comes from Mexico
From: John McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:15:54 -0400

I must say, having listened more carefully to several of David Lomeli's Youtube
offerings, including the other version of "Nessun Dorma" with the Simon Bolivar
Youth Orchestra, I believe I made a mistake in thinking him to be a potential
baritone. Furthermore, I agree completely with Mr. Hanson in his assessment.
He has a wonderful instrument, but if he continues to use it the way he does,
he is doomed to a short career. His vocal "placement" is all over the map and
he therefore does not maintain the natural resonance of his voice in a uniform
way. He has an absolutely gorgeous natural voice and needs a really good
vocal teacher to show him how to use it. Hopefully he will make an effort to
find one and will be discerning enough to choose to work with someone who
knows how to bring out the natural beauty of his voice--all too often a
difficult quest. To reiterate, I've changed my mind--he is no baritone--he
simply need to learn how to use his natural voice.

John McCormick