Subject: Zarzuela di Si sings into DC with LUISA FERNANDA
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:42:40 +0000

Saturday afternoon my partner and I took our 5-year old to a performance of what I know to be the only professional zarzuela company in Washington which is a great asset to the Latino and Music communities of DC (especially since my son is Latino and loves music!).
Samuel adored the 2 hour production which featured local singers and simple sets and traditional costumes. We were very impressed by the singers calibre and even were blown away by their volume in the small intimate room at the grand edifice of the Mexican Cultural Institute (2829 16th Street, NW- worth a visit on its own). The company will repeat the performances next weekend on June 7 at 7pm and June 8 at 4pm (tickets and info available at their website http://www.zarzueladisi.org) with some cast changes.

I won't go into the confusing plot, but it is a love story entwined with political revolutionary themes and the drama was wonderfully portrayed by the leads AMAMER CASTRELLO as Luisa, JOSE SACIN as Vidal and ALVARO RODRIGUEZ as Javier. Even the four children who sang in several numbers did a great job (although Samuel said he was not interested in auditioning for next year's performances--I was devastated!).
This group does one full scale production each spring and for those of you who DO enjoy this music form, it is definitely worth catching!

--
ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC