Re: The Geometry of Music

Jay <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:53:47 -0700

text/plain

And not one reference to
The Joseph Schillinger System of Musical Composition
1941 Carl Fischer, Inc. New York
A Mathematical Method of Musical Composition

 From the ‘Overture’ pg IX
“The Schillinger System makes a positive approach to the theory of
musicla composition by offering possibilities for choice and development
by the student, instead of the rules hedged round with prohibitions,
limitations and exceptions, which have characterized conventional studies.”
[Read Schönberg and the tyranny of serialism]

George Gershwin studied this method as did Glen Miller.

It not only allows melody, it almost demands it.