Some historical updates - Granforte, Burzio, De Angelis

Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>

Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:40:06 -0400

text/plain

Hello everybody -

>From time to time I receive new information about some of the singers
about whom I have previously written, and in the last couple of months
I've been the lucky beneficiary of a very kind man in La Plata,
Argentina. Osvaldo Fraboschi is deep in research on the history of
opera in La Plata, and he has generously shared some of his work with
me. There are those on the list who do follow careers with some
degree of interest, and, for them, I'll post the information that has
been found so far for Eugenia Burzio and Apollo Granforte.

GRANFORTE first -

He began his professional life as a tenor, singing the role of Arturo
Bucklaw in "Lucia" in 1905 at Legnago, Italy to pretty horrendous
notices. Feeling rejected and completely at sea, he decided to
emigrate to Argentina, where he became a cobbler for a short time,
until a wealthy patron in Rosario offered to fund his retraining as a
baritone at a conservatory in Buenos Aires. This has all been known
for some time. But, what follows has certainly not been known to me,
and I imagine I know as much as anyone about him, give or take. The
notation below is certainly his first documented engagement anywhere
as a baritone.

"10 October, 1913: Literary-musical soirée in honour of Maestro
Giuseppe Verdi, held at Teatro Argentino de La Plata, and organized by
Society "Dante Alighieri" de La Plata and the students of
Conservatoire "Verdi" de La Plata. The baritone Apollo Granforte
participated in this event as a student from Conservatoire "Santa
Cecilia" de Buenos Aires. He sang "Eri tu" from 'Un Ballo in Maschera'
 and "Ciel! Mio padre!" from 'Aida' with the student Margarita M. de
Isola. This was Granforte's debut in La Plata."

-------------------------

EUGENIA BURZIO - new information
1907: Aida (Verdi)

Eugenia Burzio (Aida), Mario Gillion (Radames), Ladislava Hotkovska
(Amneris), Giovanni Polese (Amonasro), Oreste Carozzi (Ramfis),
Edoardo Nicolicchia (Il re), Luigi Boldrini (Un messaggero). Gaetano
Bavagnoli, conductor.

1907: La Wally (Catalani) (Premiere for La Plata)

 Eugenia Burzio (Wally), Giuseppe Taccani (Hagenbach), Oreste
Benedetti (Gellner), Emma Marselli (Afra), Italo Picchi (Stromminger),
Concetto Paterna (Un pedone). Gaetano Bavagnoli, conductor.

1907: La Gioconda (Ponchielli)

Eugenia Burzio (Gioconda), Giuseppe Taccani (Enzo), Ladislava
Hotkovska (Laura), Giovanni Polese (Barnaba), Luigi Boldrini (Iseppo).
Gaetano Bavagnoli, conductor.

 1909: Tosca (Puccini)

Eugenia Burzio (Tosca), Itallo Cristalli (Mario), Eugenio Giraldoni
(Scarpia), Antonio Pini-Corsi (Il sagrestano), Achille Vettori
(Angelotti), G. Galli (Sciarrone). Mtro. Martinelli, conductor.

Back to Granforte - New information indicates that in 1940 he sang
Kurwenal at Trieste's Teatro Verdi. The on line Trieste annals
indicate that, though they are very suspect for many reasons. I'll
leave it at that.

-------------------------------------

Finally, I have a bunch of additional information on Nazzareno de
Angelis from a book (autobiographical) that was published a few years
ago. Most of his career is known, and my earlier chronology is not
far from complete. But...

Mefistofele was performed by him at the following places not
previously known by me -

Carrara in 1924, Padua 1927, Lecce 1929 and Macerata 1933.
 He also, during this period, sang a number of recitals which I did
not originally know. I'll not list them or go into detail except to
say that he sang more performances of Wagner than he did of Verdi
during his long and monumental career, and it is not surprising that
most of his concerts were centered around the operas of Richard
Wagner, particularly the finale of "Die Walkuer". When he wasn't
doing Wagner he could usually be found in the Verdi Requiem. Those
were his big concert guns. Certainly not surprising!

The book is "Nazzareno de Angelis, ossia l'Opera vista dal Basso".
Edited by Roberto Manilla

That's it for now. Maybe more later, especially from my kind friend
in La Plata.

Bob