Subject: Re: Leoncavallo: I Medici
From: Mike Begley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:46:40 -0400

Ok, just got finished listening to my recording of I Medici; my
observations -
(Note: I am NOT a musicologist; I don't even play one on TV)

-Domingo will probably need to transpose the act 2 duet with the
(soprano/dramatic mezzo); otherwise, I think the role will be VERY good for
him

-At the opening I thought I had put on a von Weber opera by mistake; lots of
horn music

- This seems to fit into a series of grand Italian operas (ala Ponchielli),
done in the 1890's.  Very reminiscent of the original 4 Act Edgar by Puccini
in the scope of the opera.

- I like this opera a lot - the problem for a recording is that it demands
an absolutely first rank baritone (Bruson is on the recording I have), and a
Falcon/dramatic soprano/dramatic mezzo for the female role.  Maybe Zajick

This ain't Pagliacci, boys and girls.  More in the class of Simon Boccanegra

Just my due lire,
Mike