Subject: Re: Valletti and Bing
From: Greg Fitzmaurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:51:30 EST

In a message dated 3/8/2007 11:32:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<I would  say there was nothing wrong with Valletti's  voice during the
period when
Bing replaced him.

Is everyone so sure that Bing "replaced him"?  The story that I had  always
heard was that Bing was so rude and dismissive in a L'Elisir rehearsal  that
Valletti quit on the spot.

Valletti was the premiere Donizetti and Rossini tenor in the world at  this
time and was appreciated and valued by audiences and critics the world  over.
I'm sure he felt he deserved better treatment from Bing than he  evidently
received.  Let's not assume that there was anything wrong with  Valletti since
Bing was clearly the one with the character defects.

--
Greg  Fitzmaurice
Durham,  NC