Subject: Re: Trovatore, trills and transposition at Covent Garden
From: Greg Fitzmaurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:12:42 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2007 8:18:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<For the record, I really couldn't care less about machismo  displays of
High Cs that aren't written, especially when, as I felt, that  the
preceding parts of the cabaletta were the weakest aspect of Marcelo's
performance, as if, even sub-consciously, he was psyching up for the  ending.

I totally agree with this statement.  If the rest of "Di quella  pira" isn't
good, the high notes won't save it.  It's always amazing to me  that people
will praise someone's Manrico because of a few high C's that were  fantastic in
"Di quella pira".  There's much, much more to the role than 10  seconds (or
less!) of high notes.

--
Greg  Fitzmaurice
Durham,  NC