Subject: Re: Met at the movies
From: Mitchell Weitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:11:52 -0500

On Dec 10, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Robert White wrote:

> Before anyone gets TOO crazy over this, I think they were primarily
> looking for
> theatre locations that had the equipment which I think is not
> inconsiderable, AND
> were interested in doing this.

I'm sure Robert is right about that, but we should also keep in mind
that none of the entities involved -- not the Met, not the movie
theaters -- really has any idea whether this is going to be a success
or a debacle.  If it's successful (which for the movie theaters means
selling lots of tickets and turning a profit), we may see a greater
number of theaters around the country participating in this venture
during next season.  On the other hand, if it isn't successful, there
may not be a second season of HD broadcasts.

I'm curious as to how (and how well) this is being publicized/
advertised around the country. For those Listers outside NY: have you
seen much press coverage or paid advertising for the upcoming MAGIC
FLUTE broadcast other than Opera News?  Or is the Met aiming at its
existing audience around the country?

MW

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org