Subject: Humperdinck's inspiration
From: Regina Merwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:31:42 -0500

 Hi all,

Does anyone know if Englebert Humperdinck drew his musical inspiration from German folk songs, as the Grimms recorded their stories from folk tales?  Someone told me that the little game song the kids sing in Act 1 as they are goofing off is a traditional children's tune.  Are there others in the opera that are traditional? Or did I misunderstand?

I know he worked for Wagner.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

--Regi

Regina Merwin