Subject: Re: Do the Rhinemaidens [Deserve] the Gold?
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:04:24 +0100

> I agree, because I think when the Rhinemaidens say that the only one who
> can take the gold is someone who renounces love, it's like saying the onl
> one who can break into the mint is someone with a particular type of
> weapon.

I thought they said that too, but someone corrected me on it, and I looked
it up. What they say is that the one who renounces love can forge the ring
 from the gold and rule the universe. It isn't the price for the gold
itself, so, yes, he does steal it.

BTW, can we finally stop quoting Anna Russell as the final authority on
the ring? She makes several inaccurate statements in her famous analysis,
although not because she makes mistakes, but she puts things together in a
way to make them funnier. Legitimate enough, she was a comedienne after
all.

David

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org