Subject: Re: The Met's New Barbiere
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:33:24 -0800

At 06:26 PM 11/14/2006 EST, Michael McPherson wrote:
  Lisa wrote:
>> To think the Met discarded the beautiful revolving house in their previous
>> Barbiere with its
>> wonderful storm scene is very sad.
>>
>Lisa,
>I absolutely agree with you. I loved the previous Barbiere production. And
>while I am not as critical with the new production as you are (but my
partner
>shares your opinion), for the life of me, I can't understand what went
into the
>decision to scrap a beautiful production (especially when there are so many
>other operas currently in the repertory that would benefit by a new
production).

The MET shares a rather common opinion that a 25 or more year old
production tends to need replacing, if only because the physical
production is in need of serious repair.  If the money is to be spent, one
might as well start all over.  I would also add that in the early 1980s,
when the previous production was new, it was much denigrated - and people
lamented that the older production, dating from the mid 1950s, was no
longer being used.

The more things change...

James Bodge

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org