Subject: Re: L. Price in the 1960s at her lowest/worst on a complete studio recording ...
From: Greg Fitzmaurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:48:52 EST

In a message dated 11/19/2006 10:59:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<I by no means intend to be unkind/negative; but in the  interest of
improving my critical perspective on the glorious career of  the
wonderful Leontyne Price, I'd like to be directed to one or two of  her
"worst" STUDIO recordings of a compelete opera made during her  legendary
vocal crisis in the 1960s.  Thanks, Steve Conrad (Bloomington,  IN)

You are undoubtedly thinking of Anna Moffo's recording of Thais which is  not
only renowned for Moffo's declining abilities at that point in her career,
but also for the marvelous pictures of her in various garb in the booklet with
the LP set.

Leontyne Price never recorded Thais, but she did perform it with the  Chicago
Opera early in her career.  Tapes of these performance have never  surfaced
unfortunately, although many wish they would.  I suspect she was  marvelous in
the role - and this was long before any period of "vocal  difficulties".

--
Greg  Fitzmaurice
Durham,  NC