Subject: Re: L. Price in the 1960s at her lowest/worst on a complete studio recording of THAT DECADE?
From: Braden Mechley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:19:21 EST

Not that all her '60s recordings are equally splendid, but . . . I actually
can't offhand think of a commercial recording that I'd connect with that
particular episode.   In fact, I'm not sure what complete operas she recorded that
early in the '60s.   I think the Solti AIDA predates the FANCIULLA debacle, and
that the other '60s completes -- BALLO, CARMEN, FORZA and TROVATORE -- all
postdate it.   (I'm certain CARMEN and TROVATORE do.)

To me the most obviously problematic Price recordings -- purely in terms of
the state of her instrument -- come well over a decade after the "crisis,"
specifically PRIMA DONNA #4 and the complete ARIADNE.   (And even they have some
impressive moments, like the the second "Und ging im Licht" in the ARIADNE, or
the high D in the Csardas on PRIMA DONNA #4.)

To complicate matters further: only months after the FANCIULLA crisis, Miss
Price broadcast a TOSCA from the Met that found her in absolutely glowing form,
as a Myto release testifies.

It's also been my experience that descriptions of this crisis usually proceed
as if Miss Price fled the Met after the disastrous '61 Halloween FANCIULLA
for quite some time, and/or as if she immediately abandoned the role of Minnie
forever.   But the Met ANNALS tell another story about how she spent the rest
of that season:

1961
21 November --> BUTTERFLY
1 December --> TURANDOT
4 December --> FANCIULLA   (!)
13 December --> AIDA
20 December --> BUTTERFLY

1962
1 April --> TOSCA
7 April --> aforementioned TOSCA broadcast
11 April --> tour BUTTERFLY
15 April --> tour TOSCA
23 April --> tour TOSCA
29 April --> tour FANCIULLA   (!!)
9 May --> tour FANCIULLA   (!!!)
15 May --> tour TOSCA
19 May --> tour TOSCA
23 May --> tour BUTTERFLY
26 May --> tour TOSCA
30 May --> tour TOSCA

Maybe she was scheduled for things in January, February and/or March that she
cancelled.   But still, that's a good amount of heavy Puccini singing in this
season, including three never-discussed FANCIULLA performances.   Was anyone
read this present?   I'd adore to know more.

Braden Mechley

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org