Subject: Nov/Dec Vocal Riches on WHRB/Lorraine Hunt Lieberson
From: Gerald Waldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:47:27 -0500

For lovers of great singing, WHRB, one of the last remaining classical
radio stations which has tributes to great singers from the past, will be
having several wonderful vocal programs during the months of
November and December dedicated to great singers of the past,
starting with the Centenary Tribute to the magnificent lyric tenor, Askel
Schiotz.  For those who live in the Boston/Cambridge area one can
tune into WHRB, 95.3 FM, or for those outside of the radio listening
radius, one can listen via the internet at (WHRB.ORG).

1)  Centennial Tribute to the eloquent and sublimely beautiful artistry
of the magnificent Danish lyric tenor, Aksel Schiotz, on Monday,
November 20 from 8:00 - 10:00 P.M., including his superb traversal of
one of Schubert's great song cycles, Die Schöne Müllerin.   This is one
of those desert island recordings which one shouldn't miss.

2) Second Memorial Tribute to the great German Soprano, Elisabeth
Schwarzkopf, who died this past August, on Monday, November 27,
from 7:00 - 10:00 P.M., including two of her most celebrated live
performances from 1956, capturing her at vocal and interpretive peak:

a) 11/23/1956 Carnegie Hall recital, and b) 6/20/1956 performance of
Strauss Four Last Songs with Philharmonia Orchestra under Herbert
Von Karajan.

3) On Sunday, 12/3, Sunday Night at the Opera at 8:00 P.M., a
Massenet evening, (following Werther), Massenet's Manon with
Maggie Teyte, highlights from Manon with Maggie Teyte and Heddle
Nash from a 1939 BBC broadcast.

4) All Berlioz concert on Tuesday, 12/19, at 8:00 P.M., with Anne Sofie
von Otter and the Los Angeles Philharmonic under Esa-Pekka
Salonen:  Les Nuits d'ete, Le Chant des Bretons, La Mort d'Ophelie,
and scenes from Romeo et Juliette.

5) You can also check WHRB's complete listings at whrb.org.  WHRB
is one of the few remaining classical radio stations to play great
recordings from the past with some of the greatest singers of the 20th
century, which they also do after every MET broadcast on Saturday
afternoons, starting December 9.  On December 30, at 4:00 P.M., after
the MET Magic Flute Broadcast, featured will be a classic, beloved
recording of Hansel and Gretel, starring, Elisabeth Grummer,
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Else Schurhoff, Anny Felbermayer, Josef
Metternich, Maria von Illosvay, with the Philharmonia Orchestra under
Herbert Von Karajan.

************************

The Lorraine Hunt Lieberson Musical Memorial Tribute, on Tuesday,
November 21, 2006 at 7:00 P.M., at Emmanuel Church on 15 Newbury
Street in Boston is free and open to the public.  I am wondering
whether others have experienced such intense grief over losing an
extraordinary and profound artist, taken from us much too early.  I am
referring to the transcendent operatic artist, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson.
Even though more than four months have elapsed since her death on
July 3, every time I attend a live recital a concert, I feel very vulnerable,
frequently have an overwhelming feeling of loss and start crying.  This
was most evident last night during a performance of Mahler's Fifth
Symphony, with the sublime Adagio movement.  I had to use utmost
composure not to break down weeping, because the music so
reminded me of her great and unforgettable artistry.  Lorraine Hunt
Lieberson emanated music from her very soul, and therefore
represents music to me, as only few other soulfully expressive
singers, such as Maria Callas, Shirley Verrett, Janet Baker, Tito
Schipa, Hans Hotter and Gerard Souzay, and therefore I find it very
painful, attending live performances, especially with music she was
identified with.  I wonder whether older opera lovers have experienced
this intense long period of grief with other great singers, who died
young, and whom they saw live many times, such as Maria Callas,
Kathleen Ferrier, Fritz Wunderlich, Jussi Bjorling, Lucia Popp, Arleen
Auger, Tatiana Troyanos, Jan De Gaetani, Hermann Prey, and George
London, to mention just a few.  I only remember this happening with
another soulfully expressive artist, Ingrid Bergman.  When Ingrid
Bergman died I had been so deeply affected by many of her soulfully
moving performances, I wept tears for hours.  I remember many
others weeping too.   I will never forget the experience of seeing
Casablanca in the theater within a month or so after her death on
8/29/1982.  Upon her hypnotically beautiful entrance, the entire
audience let out a heart stabbing moan, and then started sobbing.
Even though almost 25 years have passed since this painful
experience elapsed, it is indelible and brings tears to my eyes. In the
past, I have only experienced this with family and friends whom I loved
very deeply, such as my mother.   It is a combination of how Lorraine
Hunt Lieberson's profound artistry moved me so deeply, her
emanating music with every fiber of her body, and that the world of
music is so much emptier without her.  We are very fortunate that
when a beloved operatic artist dies, their unforgettable artistry lives on
infinitely, through their recorded legacy and for that, we are eternally
blessed, and must be forever thankful.

Warm Regards to Opera Lovers,

Jerry Waldman

*****