Subject: Re: Zarzuela/Luisa Fernanda
From: Luis Saltiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:58:46 -0800

--- Scott Schumpert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on here could direct me to
> someone who
> might be selling "Luisa Fernanda" on CD.
>
> Amazon.com has it listed, but unavailable. I suppose
> they don't get a
> lot of requests for it?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Scott

Your best bet is El Corte Ingl?s in Madrid. It is
Spain's biggest department store and its on line
service has the greatest music selection available.
That said, I hope you are fluent in Spanish in order
to register and even so, it can be frustrating. Three
weeks delivery and quite expensive shipping if you
happen to be in North or South America. On the other
hand, their music department is tops!
http://www.elcorteingles.es/musica For DVD's  from
Spain try the much more efficient -and reasonable-
www.dvdgo.com

If you go, check out this version:
http://www.elcorteingles.es/musica/producto/producto.asp?referencia=05166580257

Though I am not particularly enthusiastic about
Zarzuela, I am very partial to conductor Ata?lfo
Argenta. He would have been the other great Spanish
maestro of the 20th century, along with Fr?hbeck de
Burgos, had his life not ended prematurely -in a very
bizarre way- in 1958. He left a wealth of Zarzuela
recordings -plus several well known volumes of
international and Spanish symphonic collections on
Decca.

His Luisa Fernanda -as well as La Revoltosa and Los
Gavilanes- just gets the style right. It may lack the
polish of today's readings with more technically
adroit orchestras, but if you want to experience what
Zarzuela is all about -warts and all- this is it!
Soprano Fuensanta Sol? delivers a charming portrayal
of the title role, sounding girlish and fresh as
required. Tenor Carlos Mung?a has always been an
acquired taste for me -think DiStefano's no holds
barred all-out sound and cross it with a constipated
goat trying to relieve itself. Or for that matter,
drop the "n" from his last name and it means "he used
to moo!" But it is this cheeky quality of singing
which makes one almost smell the greasepaint from the
Teatro Monumental stage.

The recently departed baritone Manuel Ausensi, on the
other hand is absolutely regal! Too bad he was not
given much of a chance to record opera as he was an
outstanding Verdian in an era when competition was
very substantial in this department. Argenta keeps
things going with refined "garbo" and innate sense of
style. This is definitely not just for tourists! The
1956 stereo sound is quite agreeable if you don't
expect Telarc. There is an inexcusable typo on the
composer's name on the CD booklet front cover!

?Buena suerte!

Luis

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance
your career.
Www.nextag.com

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org