Subject: Best Met Sharpless?
From: Matt Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:59:56 EST

Listening to Butterfly tonight and through the Sirius broadcasts I can't
help but fall in love with the "Io son che alle" trio in act
three...particularly the melody song by Sharpless. However, going through the  Met database, I
was distressed to see the lack of top flight baritones who've  sung the role. No
Robert Merrill...no Leonard Warren (can't you just imagine  their dulcet
tones tackling this?). My question as a Met collector...who was the  best Met
Sharpless...at least as far as the broadcasts go?  That way I can  track it down
and hear for myself. The list is very limited. Was it John  Brownlee? He
certainly sang it more than anyone else on the broadcasts, and I  have most of them.
How about Thomas Allen in the 1994 broadcast? I'd love to  hear that if you
recommend it...plus it has the wonderful Diana Soviero in the  title role.
Perhaps you prefer Croft's current turn as Sharpless. Any thoughts  or
recollections?

Matt

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org