Subject: Help needed with Nielsen's "Saul and David"
From: "Ruth C. Jacobs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:58:06 -0500

A researcher whom I have been attempting to assist with information on the
late Finnish tenor Peter Lindroos (see separate post) sent me a copy of Carl
Nielsen's "Saul and David" (or "Saul" according to Karadar).  It is a
stunning recording featuring Aage Haugland as Saul, Peter Lindroos as David,
Tina Kiberg as Mikal and Anne Gjevang as the Witch of Endor; the Danish
Natioonal Radio Symphony Orchestra under Neeme Jarvi is very strong.  But I
can find no information on the opera on the internet -- no synopsis and the
only libretto I find -- Karadar's -- is in Danish only and although I read
several languages, Danish is not one of them.  Can anyone provide me with
either a synopsis or a libretto -- preferably English but French or German
would work.  Thank you in advance, private replies fine.  Ruth C. Jacobs,
San Francisco

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org