Subject: Superb NOZZE in New London
From: JOHN DEREDITA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:07:51 -0800

Laurie called last night's Connecticut Lyric Opera NOZZE DI FIGARO a triumph, and I agree.  One of our four year old company's finest productions.  As a board member, I won't review but will simply point out singer highlights.  Jurate Svedaite-Waller sang "Dove sono" beautifully and also portrayed the Contessa's pique at her philandering Count more than anyone else I have seen in this role:  a revelatory interpretation.  Deborah Selig as Susanna deservedly earned someone's bravissima for her rich singing all the way through this long role, including a great "Deh, vieni" in Act 4, and for totally convincing acting with agile movement and a variety of facial expression that made this young lyric soprano one of the better actresses I've seen in opera.   Hayden Dewitt sang Cherubino winningly, with the authority given her by experience in the role.  Her petite young boy was also appealingly acted.  Laurie and I would have liked to hear more from Jonelyn Langenstein, who sang
 the small role of Barbarina fetchingly.  Colin Brady and Timothy S. Hill were authoritative vocally and dramatically as Figaro and the Conte, and special praise is due to Gregory Zavracky for his pure lyric tenor and fine acting in the smaller roles of Basilio and Don Curzio.  Margaret Tyler and Laurentiu Rotaru did good work as Marcellina and Bartolo.  Adrian Mackiewicz's Connecticut Virtuosi chamber orchestra accompanied masterfully, with only one flubbed entrance.

  You can still attend this NOZZE in New Britain on Friday 24 November and Sunday 3 December.  Write me for performance times.  I know of one attendee last night who was drawn by my messages to opera-l, and he enjoyed the performance.

  John

John Deredita

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org