Subject: Re: "Madama Butterfly" at the Met, Nov 15[Scanned]
From: "Volpe, Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:22:57 -0500

I've been meaning to write in with my comments about the Minghella Buttterfly since I attended it on Halloween night and reading Dan Kessler's post has prompted me to do so.

I agree with nearly everything Dan said and he described the many attributes of the Minghella show accurately and beautifully.  It really is a compelling show, even with some flaws, and does present Butterfly afresh and leaves you with an exhilirating sense that you are seeing opera as theatre in an important and meaningful way.  I attend dozens of perforances a year at the Met and elsewhere and have for over 25 years and there was a hush and a rapt attentiveness by the audience in the house that night that I have experienced much more often while watching great theatre and rarely experienced in the opera house. (and certainly not at Met new productions for many years)  Outstanding, individual voices have a way of getting that reaction  out of an audience (the few times I heard Nilsson live I recall being transfixed and mesmerized...Rysanek, Sutherland, Horne, all could do this just to name a few) but rarely, in my experience. do productions.  It was quite clear from the dynamic in the air at the conclusion that most people leaving the theatre that night after the Buftterfly left feeling as if they had been part of a noteworthy theatrical event.  That alone was special.

I give some of the credit for that to the Bunraku puppetry notably for the role of Trouble.  Dan discribed the effect perfectly and I was transfixed by what I thought it added to the piece theatrically.  As so many have said, there was a "realness" to what they had the boy puppet doing in reaction to the events of the opera that would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to get out of any child portraying the role.  This seems to me the essence of bringing theatrical solutions to interesting challenges presented by librettists and composers.  I didn't find the presence of the puppeteers even slightly distracting.  Almost immediately I forgot they were there, except for the few moments, out of theatrical curiosity, when I wanted to concentrate through my opera glasses on "how they do it".

As for my reservations they were few, principal among them was the staging of the love duet to end Act I.  I did find it rather busy and distracting from the music and the moment of the consummation of Butterfly and Pinkerton's love.  The effect of the lanterns agains the black stage was beautiful but as the 'flower petals" began falling with increasing intensity eventually giving way to the flower curtain descending on the scene I began to find the whole thing a bit much leaving me to strain to find the lovers and their emotions in this pivotal scene amid the spectacle before me.

That said, I still thought it a compelling night of operatic theatre.  Dan sums up the singing accurately - "generic with admirable efforts from all" seems fair, however I would add that Ms. Gallardo-Gomas was a compelling, if flawed, Butterfly in spite of her vocal limitations protraying a "real" Butterfly every inch of the way.  Giordani is a fine tenor who might not be our first choice for the role but who still sang with distinction.  I thought Croft did some of his best singing I've heard from him in a while and Zifchak was an involved, engaged and moving Suzuki.  The contibutions of the custom designer were impressive and eye-filling in the best sense of the word.

If this production is a sign of the Gelb era, I think we have much to look forward to.  I would encourage any skeptics to see it when it is sure to be revived.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
Russ Volpe