Subject: Re: Eaglen
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:18:41 -0800

On Nov 16, 2006, at 7:13 AM, shura malinowska wrote:

>  In her early, pre-dramatic soprano days she was a wonderful Donna
> Anna at the English National Opera. She really should not have gone
> to the heavier repertoire. Back then her size was a casting problem
> in the full lyric soprano repertoire. I and many others predicted
> her early end many years ago. Too many people (including teachers,
> agents, companies, etc.) associate erroneously large bodies with
> dramatic roles. Sadly far too many singers are encouraged to
> 'progress' to heavier roles to their subsequent peril.

I have to disagree with this.  I think her voice, in size and type,
was actually just right for the big Wagnerian parts.  The fact that
she also had the flexibility was a plus, but her voice did have the
necessary "cut" to project these big roles without strain or forcing.

I think something else went wrong.  I don't know if it was health, an
excessively loaded schedule or what.  But I don't think it was
unsuitability of her voice to the roles, nor do I think she took them
on too early.

Max

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org