Subject: Re: Sergio Silva is Right On!
From: Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:01:16 -0700

mrmyster wrote:
> I have to agree with Sergio Silva that Cio-Cio San is not a role for
> light lyric or coloratura soprano, not in any house; and at the Met
> or other houses of that large size, it takes an unusually pungent and
> strong voice the put the role over.

De gustibus and all that.

Lighter voices able effectively to represent the young and naive Cio-Cio
San have been favored historically in Germanic countries. They need the
range for the last act and the conductor must be responsive, but when
that happens the result may be most effective. An early example was
Hermine Bosetti who recorded most of the original version of
"Grossmaechtige Prinzessin" in 1912, when she had been the preferred
Cio-Cio San in Vienna for a decade.

Anna Moffo's elevation to stardom in Italy came with Butterfly; hers was
not "an unusually pungent and strong voice". We have both the RAI
telecast and the RCA recording to savor and while she may not be to
everyone's taste in the role, who is or was?

My own preference depends on the conducting and the rest of the cast.
The one attitude with which I cannot identify is that in which there is
a specific voice "right" for a role and all others are beneath notice.

Mike
--
http://www.mrichter.com/

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org