Subject: The Opera House Chat
From: "Charles H. Riggs, III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:49:26 -0400

Dear fellow opera lovers,

    For several years there has been a weekly Saturday opera chat
organized and hosted by various people in that time.  In general, people
who intend to participate usually arrive between GMT 2000 to GMT
2100.  I've been a happy member of this group for a few years. The current
host is Lis Froding.

       We use IRC as the venue for our chats.  Accordingly our new
official home is #TheOperaHouse on IRC.

       Now, with regard to the chat itself, what do we talk about?
Anything and everything, but I would say 80% of the discussion is about
opera or related topics.  Many of us also swap impressions of any operatic
broadcasts or webcasts to which we are listening.  Saturday is a
particularly good day for this since it is the heaviest day of operatic
broadcasts on the Web.  The flavor of the group is also very diverse.  Our
regular participants come from all over, New York, Alaska, England,
California, Italy, Sweden, Finland, etc. etc.  It's an eclectic and
scintillating group, and I think you'll enjoy the experience.

       Here are the instructions if you decide to participate:  This room
is most easily accessible through the chat program available for
download and installation at mirc.com .  Our hostess, Lis Froding,
normally opens a room called #TheOperaHouse on that service on Saturdays.
Before entering that particular room, please enter through a server which
is being used in common by other participants in the chat.  The correct
server to use is AustNet: Random Server.  Once logged in on the proper
server please go to #TheOperaHouse .  Most of the time you will need to
type the room name manually in the field provided since it will not show
up in the list of permanent rooms.

    Some additional info on IRC has been provided to me
from a correspondent on these matters.  Here's an edited excerpt:

"There is a TON of information here:
http://www.irchelp.org/

"There is a plug-in that adds IRC to the Mozilla-Netscape-Firefox web
browsers. Info is available here:

"http://www.mozilla.org/projects/rt-messaging/chatzilla/

"I don't know if Microsoft has added this capability to Internet Explorer."

    Good luck, and I hope to see you online later today.

    Happy chatting!

    Cheers,

    Charles

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org