Subject: Re: PBS Sunday 11pm EDT - Butterfly in Rehearsal documentary
From: Rob Selden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:00:12 -0400

I received the following rude communication off-list in response to my post
regarding the Butterfly documentary.  I won't mention the person's name,
since I haven't cleared reprinted it with her:

"DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.  GO TO SLEEP.  IT WILL DO YOU MORE BENEFIT."

Since I sent that notice to the List as simple information for those who
might be interested, I never expected such a response.  Shouting at me in
all caps was unnecessary and I have no idea how or why she thinks I'm
normally asleep at that hour.  Nor is she my doctor, who could assess the
benefit of watching it for 30 minutes versus going to sleep.  I'm sure there
are many who will be interested and who, if 11pm is past their normal
bedtime, can program their VCR/DVR to record it for later viewing.

Rob

P.S.  I concur with the reviews of last night's Idomeneo at the Met.  There
wasn't a weak link in the cast, from Heppner in the title role, to the
totally demented Elettra of Makarina to Tony Richardson and Jordan Bisch as
the Trojan Soldiers.  But I especially enjoyed the debuting Jeffrey Francis
as Arbace, and Kristine Jepson's Idamante.  She totally nailed something
that seems to be difficult for women in pants roles - using her arms in a
masculine way - because of the different body proportions in men and women
between the the shoulders and hips.  Coupled with her singing, it was a
total characterization one rarely has the pleasure of encountering.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org