Subject: Re: The Met Art Gallery - Cio Cio San as a Lesbian
From: Al **** <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2006 01:08:51 +0000

>From: Patricia Fosen >

>  It just seems that
>so much of what is called contemporary art is for shock value, controversy,
>or to make a pro this-or-that statement as in the case of Cio Cio San as a
>Lesbian.  As I looked at it today, I simply could not identify ANY
>UNDERLYING CRAFT OR DISCIPLINE RELATING TO ANY ART FORM.  In other words,
>it really wasn't anything that I couldn't have thrown together given a
>stack of porno photos.  AND, if one recalls that Cio Cio San was 15 years
>old at the time of her encounter, focusing on her today as a sex object
>borders on celebrating child molestation.  Really, The Met can do so much
>better.
>Patricia Fosen
>CriticalOpera

The opinions offered above are valid opinions, but are ultimately of  of
very little value.
Art should shock and art should make one think, be vexed, amused etc. this
is the primary function of art, sometimes it must disturb us also, unless
one desires pretty pictures and decoration pieces only.

"Porno photos" as a generic statement is a waste of time, since pornography
is subjective, and when treated in isolation, is often found to include much
that is considered erotic by others.

Cio Cio San is already a sex "object" in the context of the play and the
Opera, since she bears a son to Pinkerton, it is obvious that "Mother
Nature" and our social view of 15 being too young to be a sexual being, is
at odds.

Stating that "the Met can do so much better" could be taken as an opinion
based upon an observation with hindsight, or it could be taken as a
Matriarchal upbraiding based upon the social mores of  Patricia Fosen.

Regards,  Isaac Alan

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org