Subject: Re: Peter Gelb ... Wolf in Sheep's Clothes ?
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:24:14 -0700

At 01:26 PM 9/28/2006 -0400, =?windows-1252?Q?Jack_Rance?= wrote:
>On the other hand, Kristin Chenoweth is to do Samira in GHOSTS OF
>VERSAILLES and supposedly Bocelli as Rosillon in MERRY WIDOW. Will they be
>miked?

I doubt it.  OTOH, these engagements are "stunts".  The Samira sequence in
GHOSTS was designed as a gag scene to utilize a very willing Marilyn Horne
to make some fun.  The composer is alive, uses megaphone amplification
elesewhere in the opera (as well as electric guitar) and can be consulted
about making changes should Ms. Chenowith require them.  Very much in the
spirit of Mozart and Rossini.  Actually, I don't think she will need
changes; she's a very talented performer with extremely secure musical
chops.  The notion that there are a lot of "inaudible" singers our there
that couldn't be heard at the MET is way overdeveloped.  The MET has
wonderful acoustics.  I don't particularly care for Bocelli, who isn't as
well trained, but I think this kind of stunt casting will also work.
Cyril Ritchard never had trouble being heard during LA PERICHOLE.  And in
those days they didn't mike the dialogue (which they do now).

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org