Subject: Re: Booing - even in Vienna
From: Richard R Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:38:21 -0500

Yes, in Vienna it was all part of the fun.  In 1956 Karajan and Boehm
were vying to be the Director of the Staatsoper.  Bill Blankenship and I
went to performances of Die Meistersinger conducted alternately by the
two.  We cheered both and booed both just for the fun of it.  How we
stood for all those operas is now a mystery to me, especially with the
length of Meistersinger.  The audience were ultimately the winners,
because both men conducted the work beautifully.  We heard at least six
performances of the work that season and suffered through one awful
Sachs, two great ones and one who was OK.  While I do not really condone
most booing, it is important to remember that opera is supposed to be
entertaining as well as inspiring.  To paraphrase Verdi, the worst thing
in the theater is boredom.
Have fun at the opera1
Richard

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org