Subject: Re: Souvenir
From: Roger Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:53:52 EST

I saw this last Friday and agree with Donald about the fine quality of the
performances. And the play, too--to my mind, it was far more perceptive about
music and what it means to be a singer than McNally's _Master Class_ which I
think relies on too many cliches about singing (and Callas, and women) to be very
interesting.

At the performance, I had the bonus of sitting right behind Marilyn Horne.
(She expressed friendly apologies if her coat was in my way, but all I could do
was stammer in reply.) At one point in _Souvenir_, Jenkins is very, very
reluctantly making apologies for what she sees as very, very tiny signs of age that
are creeping into her glorious soprano, and starts mumbling to McMoon about
discovering the glories of her lower register. Horne let out a true mezzo
belly-laugh at that!

Roger Sutton

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org