Subject: To boo or not to boo...
From: Jerry Floyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:47:52 EST

I only booed a singer once, and I still regret it 30 years later; the
occasion:  Jess Thomas after the 1975 broadcast "Siegfried".  I agree with those of
you who say that silence is the preferable alternative to booing singers.

Conductors:  depends on whether you are booing the conductor or the orchestra
or both.  In my experience, conductors are rarely booed.

Designers/directors: hey if the production is bad, go for it.  Based on what
I saw a couple of performances into the run,  those who booed at the premiere
of Robert Wilson's non-production of "Lohengrin" at the Met were completely
justified.  Doing their civic duty.  There is just so much regietheatre these
days and most of it is junk.  Of course, in Europe at least, some production
folks love to be booed, because it creates a scandal and more people come to see
the show.

A more effective of getting the message across in the U.S. would be to
withhold that annual contribution and state very clearly because of so-and-so's
shoddy productoin.  Maybe if they see an impact on the bottom line, opera
companies will get the message that audiences are fed up with trashy productions.

Cheers, Jerry in D.C.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org