Subject: Re: I lituani and Yasuko Hayashi
From: Tom Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:00:55 EST

In a message dated 01/08/2006 2:35:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Yasuko Hayashyi sang on a number of occasions in London in the latter part
> of the 1970s.  She was an outstanding Adina in one of the revivals of the
> beautiful production of Elisir at the time (Cotrubas was the original Adina).
> She seemed well on the way to having a big career - i think she sang in
> Chicago - and then.... apparently nothing.

The Garaventa Lituani was broadcast by Italian radio in 1979 and first
released by MRF Records on LP. It was later released on CD by Italian Opera
Rarities. I don't know whether or not it is in the catalogue now on some other label.
I like the opera very much as I do pretty much everything else I have ever
heard by Ponchielli, including a Marion de Lorme  with Casanova. In fact, I wish
that somebody would get around to doing Figliuol Prodigo and Mori di Valenza.
The first was created by Tamagno and the second by Martinelli.

As for Hayashi, she also sang Bellini's lovely Bianca e Fernando for RAI in
1976. The latter was also originally released on MRF Records.

Cheers

Tom

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org