Subject: Re: Booing at the Opera
From: Sergio Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jan 2006 16:30:51 -0800

I'm all for booing opera producers who show no respect
for the score and the libretto and indulge in personal
fantasies. I have booed several productions (boos
aimed at the producer). Now I've never booed any
singer even if he/she is very bad, I prefer not to
applaud.

In the US one should be afraid of booing because you
may end up in jail (I know "free" country, only for
some).

--- "Mike W." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> All this talk of how rude Met audiences can be with
> applause even if the
> note is sustained such as Wagner (I have a broadcast
> performance of Parsifal
> 2003 at the Met in which some audience members
> whispered shhhhhhh during the
> final chord) made me come across thoughts on
> audiences showing their
> disapproval for a performance.
>
> I was recently listening to a reocrding of Boulez's
> Parsifal from Bayreuth
> in 2004 and heard loud booing from the audience (of
> course it had to do with
> the production I assume).
>
> Since it happens so little here in the US and more
> in Europe (especially
> among Wagner fans)- have you been to a performance
> in which audience
> memebers have booed or hissed? Have you done so
> during a performance? Has it
> always been about the production or some notable
> singer sings a wrong note?
>
> Do you think audience members have the right to boo
> or do you think it goes
> out of hand? Personally, I believe booing shows that
> the audience deeply
> cares about the peice of music at hand and keeps
> opera  different from pop
> music when everything gets a standing ovation even
> if the singer really
> isn't singing.

Yahoo! DSL ~V Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org