Subject: Carlo Guelfi Question
From: Marc Musnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:20:05 -0500

I finally heard the last Met broadcast of RIGOLETTO.

I was not very impressed by Netrebko or Villanzon.  His voice sounded
nothing like it did on one of the recital disks I heard.  Netrebko just
sounded like a Slavic soprano singing Verdi, which isn't always
satisfying.  I expected more but was pretty disapointed.

Guelfi was awfully strange.  Does his voice really sound like that?  I
kept getting the feeling that he was coloring his voice to sound older and
snarly.

Is that voice really like that? I don't recall it sounding like that on
the TABARRO recording, but I heard that a few years ago.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org