Subject: Re: Nilsson Scandinavian Songs
From: Art McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:55:57 -0500

As I read your post, I'm listening to Nilsson's Scandinavian Songs on
the 2CD Decca set  "Ritorna Vincitor! The Legendary Birgit Nilsson"
(473-294-2) (still available in the U.S., I believe).  These date from April
1965 (with the Vienna Opera Orchestra conducted by Bertil Bokstedt).
I believe her only other commercial recording of this repertoire was
one LP side of Sibelius songs with piano (Janos Solyom) recorded in
1975 by BIS. (The other side was taken by 7 Strauss lieder.)

The Decca is indeed one of her best commercial sets--well sung and
well recorded. Her soaring voice in the Grieg song "Våren" (Spring) is
particularly touching these days, with its joyful description of once
again being allowed to see winter give way to spring and then ending
(translation thanks to the original London LP set) with the words: "Is
this, perhaps, the last time? Let it be so: I harbor many a pure and
wonderful memory; I have received more than I have deserved, and
everything must pass away."

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org