Subject: Leave the "flames" to Wagner; Birgit's best commercial recording (hard to find!)
From: Jerry Floyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:38:37 EST

I am shocked that people are sending nasty notes back and forth at a time
when we are mourning the death of one of the great opera singers of all time.
Please folks, if you see something you don't like, count to ten (or even 100)
before you fire off a nasty email.  It's really discomting, even unsettling, to
read some of the postings that have been sent during the last couple of days
(and other times, as well).

Leave the flaming to Wagner, Bellini, et al and if you just can't restrain
yourself, spare the rest of us on this list, and email only the person you want
to dis.

It's amazing that the Scandinavian Songs that Birgit Nilsson recorded --
which a lot of people feel is the best commercial recording she made -- is so hard
to find.  An opera listserv member in Denmark got copies for me, for which I
am still very, very grateful.  Although recordings seldom did justice to
Nilsson (likewise with Sutherland), it's that Scandivanian Songs recording that
I'll be playing to remember the legendary Birgit Nilsson.

Regards, Jerry in D.C.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org