Subject: Re: 1951 TALES OF HOFFMANN film on DVD
From: William Clayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:53:42 EST

I saw when it came out in the theatres when I was age 16, and I was bowled
over.  In time, I began to see its weaknesses, but I still like many things
about it (I have a commercial VHS tape).  I like Rounseville's high sound, and
Dargavel is wonderful on that high note of his big aria.  I also have always
liked Beecham's rapid tempo of the 6, 7, 8  tette (???) rather than the slower one
used by some conductors.  I also prefer the old sequence of acts to the newer
one.  I still watch it every year or so, and Hoffmann became pretty quickly
one of my 5 favorite operas.  But it must have a really high lying tenor, not
Domingo or Shicoff.  My favorites are Kraus, Tucker, Gedda, and Vanzo, and for
a while, Leech was quite good in it.  I spent 45 years waiting for a recording
by Tucker at the Met and finally got one a couple of years ago.

Bill Clayton
For my Music Collection (some 12 categories),  Photography, Jussi Bjorling,
and other assorted items, please go to  www.drclayton.net  (best to copy/paste)
and follow the Personal link.  I will appreciate comments/corrections about
the music items.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org