Subject: Re: Dialogues' final scene
From: Richard R Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jan 2006 11:26:27 -0500

It seems that this thread originally was about off- or on-stage sound
effects, and not about sounds which were just in some way effective.
Many of the sounds mentioned so far (the trumpet, the drum roll, the
shots) are not sound effects.  They are simply part of the stage action
and/or the orchestrations.  Sound effects are what one can hear every
week on Garrison Keillor's radio show when the doors close, a horse
whinnies or some sound which has to be created to imitate what we accept
aurally to be a guillotine , an explosion, a crash, etc.  I agree on the
effectiveness of all the items mentioned, but most are not really sound
effects.  A funny example is the stumbling down the staircase by Colline
in Boheme Act I.  I have heard dozens of varieties of this, some of which
made no sense at all and others which actually sounded like a man
falling.

Richard

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org