Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson. R.I.P.
From: Janice Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:33:53 +0000

Hi listers,

I too, am saddened by this news.    It is hard to imagine that there will ever be another voice like hers.

I have CD recordings of her Brunnhilde and Isolde - the 1967 Ring recorded live at the Bayreuth Festival with Windgassen as Siegfried and Bohm conducting and the 1966 Tristan recorded live at the Bayreuth Festival with Windgassen as Tristan.  Just listening to these gems - my favorites in my entire collection - I am entranced in a world of beauty and emotional color.  I can't even begin to describe my feelings upon hearing her heavenly voice in those recordings, combined with Wagner's music and the particular sound color of the Festpielhaus.  Those recordings are a joy to listen to.

I wasn't at the Met Gala, but I wish I had been. I saw it on TV and was thrilled when Nilsson came out on stage and sang.  I had thought she had retired and would not sing publically in such an event.   So this was especially exciting.

Now she is singing for the angels.  May she rest in peace.

Janice Rosen
Washington, DC

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org