Subject: Re: Happy 90th Birthday, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf!
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:59:01 EST

In a message dated 12/10/2005 2:58:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Mr.  Waldman in his panegyric to Frau Dame Schwarzkopf makes the  incredible
statement that she was a supreme interpreter of Mahler. I wonder  whether he
has heard her Mahler. They are the ugliest and most repulsive  distortions of
the lieder of a great composer that can be  imagined.

Fascinating.  Just the other day, I was driving around Chicago and  WFMT
played her recording of "Wo die schoenen Trompeten blasen," sung in duet  form
with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and George Szell conducting.  I was  completely
transfixed and delayed arriving at my destination until the  performance was
complete.  She and the two gentlemen seemed to be of one  mind about the piece and
all concerned captured and sustained an aura of rapt  wonder that was
mesmerizing.  Truly wonderful musicianship and  artistry.

For the record, I run hot and cold over La Schwarzkopf.  There are  times
when the silvery tone in combination with the intermittently witty,  charming
delivery are devastating.  Other times, the mannerisms and "under  sung" approach
are unbearable.  However, at her best, she is  irresistible.  For starters,
try her opening number in the complete LAND OF  SMILES recording.  To
paraphrase Blanche du Bois, she made  enchantment:)

Jason McVicker

P.S.  Can anyone shed some light on this duet version of the KNABEN
WUNDERHORN song?  I've only heard it done as a solo.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org