Subject: Rigoletto-Met Opera-13 Dec
From: spp2000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:47:24 -0500

Villazon cancelled due to illness and someone named Raul Melo was brought in.  This was his first performance of this production and also his Met Opera debut, so I am sure he must have been nervous as hell.  While one could forgive some lapses in his performance, it was hard to forgive the undersized voice, poor  phrasing, off pitch singing, and unimpressive tones coming from his throat.  Does anyone know how and why he was recruited for this part?  Some people were booing him, one rather boldly!
      Guelfi sounded a lot  better than I expected, considering the remarks made by others on this list.  The real star was Netrebko, who sang gloriously and acted dramatically.  I also thought the conductor, Asher Fish, did a fine job with the orchestra.  I do hope Villazon recuperates for the upcoming broadcast.
Seth

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org